Home Remedies For Headaches can provide you Headache relief naturally – without using any chemicals. There are different types and causes of headaches. Migraine is a very specific type of headache. Please remember not all headaches are migraines. Your first action when you have a headache should be to have a glass of water. This would help in most cases.
What Is A Headache ?
A headache is a pain that is felt in the head. Headache pain occurs in the tissues covering the brain, in the muscles and the blood vessels around the scalp, face, and neck. The interesting fact is that the brain itself is insensitive to pain. The three most common headaches are tension or muscle contraction, migraine, and cluster. Someone can experience a particular or a combination of these headaches.
- A Migraine Headache is caused by the swelling of blood vessels in the brain. It can be triggered by Loud noises, Bright or Flashing Lights, Strong smells, Stress, Eye strain or lack of sleep.
- A Cluster Headache generally causes excruciating pain in vicinity of eye. The headaches occur in groups or clusters. They happen 1 or more times a day over a cycle of weeks or months. At the end of a cluster cycle, the headaches will suddenly stop and will not come back for 6 months to a year or longer. 80% of cluster patients are male, mostly in age group of 20-50.
- A Tension Headache is caused by muscle tension in the head and neck. Tension headaches results in a constant, dull, achy feeling on both sides of the head or a tight, band like feeling around the head or knot in the neck muscles. Tension headaches usually begin slowly and gradually. They are generally due to Emotional Stress or hidden depression.
Headache can occur due to a particular or combination of causes. In fact, many things in our daily life can contribute to it. Headaches that occur at night or early morning may be related to sleep disorders. Some other Headache causes are as follows :-
- Bright or flashing lights, loud noises or strong smells
- Eye strain
- Skipping meals or not getting enough sleep
- Smoking or being around smoke
- Certain foods or drinks such as Alcohol, Hard cheese, Caffeine, Chocolate etc.
- Hormone changes in women such as during a menstrual period
- Medicines such as birth control pills
- Changes in Altitude, Weather
- Fever, Infections, Seasonal Allergens such as pollen, molds.
Home Remedies For Headaches
Headaches happen due to irritation of nerve endings or dilation of blood vessels in the skull, neck or shoulder area. First step is to identify the type of headache you’re experiencing. For example, is the headache because of hangover or are you feeling hungry or were you out for too long in the hot sun or you did not have your morning coffee. Also, keep a record of your headaches. This will help you to identify patterns that bring about headaches. If you can identify what exactly is causing the pain, then curing the headache becomes lot easier.
Try one or more of these Home Remedies For Headaches and see your headache vanish :-
✔ Lemon – Natural Home Remedy For Headaches
Lemon is very effective in treatment of headaches. For immediate relief from headaches, lemon tea is a great remedy. You may drink steaming cup of lemon tea up to five times a day when suffering from headache.
- Lemon Tea Recipe
- Take out fresh juice of half lemon and pour it into a cup. Take the juiced-out peel, cut into several pieces, and place in a pot with the 1 cup of water.
- Simmer the lemon peel in the water for 10 minutes. Strain water into the cup with the juice. Discard the peel. Drink hot.
- The peel of lemon has been found specially useful in treating headaches caused by heat. Grind up 2-3 Lemon peels (you could use a blender, mortar and pestle, whatever gets the job done) and add a little fresh water to create a thick paste. Apply the paste on forehead. The soothing fragrance of lemon will calm your senses and the lemon paste will soothe the pain.
- Applying the yellow, freshly pared-off rind of a lemon to each temple will also give relief.
✔ Acupressure Massage For Headaches
Acupressure is a healing method used by the Chinese since ages. In this therapy, the pressure is applied on certain points of the body. This relieved pain and makes you feel better.
- Massage the web of skin that lies between the forefinger and the thumb. This fleshy area is connected to the areas of the brain that is the origin of headaches. Continue massaging in firm, circular motion for several minutes. Switch hands after some time and according to Acupressure experts, you are sure to find some relief.
- Put a finger between your first and second toe, in the depression and press for some 5 minutes.
- Putting your thumb in your mouth on the side of the pain and pressing up the cheek bone in that side is another technique. Repeat the pushing on the other side too. After you finish it, put both your thumbs inside your mouth on the top palate and press it firmly.
This is one of those Home Remedies For Headaches that you can easily try.
✔ Apples – Dietary Remedy For Headaches
Apples are very effective in all types of headaches. Apples are packed with flavonoids, which reduce blood pressure and thus decrease headache pain. Some studies have found that even the smell of green apples can reduce the symptoms of a migraine, and can shorten a migraine cycle.
- Cut 1-2 apples into slices. Sprinkle a little salt. Have it every morning on an empty stomach for a week. This is a very effective remedy for even persistent headaches.
✔ Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon & Honey Drink
Apple cider vinegar tends to control the alkaline and acidic levels in your body and normalize them. If you feel a slight headache coming on, have this drink and within 15-20 minutes your headache would subside. For people who are suffering from head ache for long time, your headache will be lessened within 3 days and within a week headache would be gone. This is one of the most popular Home Remedies For Headaches.
- Mix two tablespoons organic apple cider, two tablespoons lemon juice and two tablespoons honey into 8 ounces hot water. If you frequently suffer from headaches, drink it daily.
✔ Herbal Tea – Dietary Home Remedy For Headaches
Having a blend of herbal tea is not only refreshing but is also one of the more popular home remedies for headaches.
- Take 1 teabag of Peppermint Tea and Chamomile Tea each. Dip them in a cup of boiling water and leave it to steep for a couple of minutes before drinking. Put the used teabags into another cup and add additional hot water and let it steep to be drunk at a later time.
- Try drinking a cup of green tea or rosemary tea, as this will prevent those headaches from getting worse. You can add cloves or ginger too when preparing the tea. The caffeine, ginger and cloves carry anti-inflammatory properties and help ease headaches.
- The rich content of antioxidants in the green tea is an excellent home remedy for headaches. One can also add the juice of half and lemon to add to the flavor.
✔ Aroma Therapy For Headache
Certain oils, like lavender can help ease out tension and help get relief from a headache. You just need to lie down and enjoy the relaxing scent. The fragrance stimulates and relaxes the nerves, thus dissolving away the headache
- Mix together some Almond Oil with 3-5 drops of Peppermint or Chamomile or Lavender Essential Oil and rub onto your forehead/temple. You could substitute Olive or Coconut Oil instead of Almond Oil. For the best effect, retreat to a cool, dark, and quiet place. Lie down and relax, quietly breathing in the aroma and gradually you will feel better.
- Take some rosemary and boil it in water. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam as much as you can. You could also use lavender, peppermint, sandalwood, basil, eucalyptus leaves, oil or essence.
- Sometimes just taking the lid of an essential oil bottle and having a sniff will help to clear up a headache. Essential oils that may be beneficial include Lavender, Peppermint, Chamomile, Citrus – Lemon Verbena, Lemon or Orange oils.
✔ Water Therapy
Lack of Water or dehydration may also cause headache. Once your body gets hydrated the pain will automatically start to ease. Along with water, you can also have non-alcoholic energy drinks. The electrolytes present in these sports drinks can help relieve headaches caused due to tension and dehydration.
- Simply drink a glass of water at the first sign of headache and continue taking small sips throughout the day.
- Mixing a teaspoon of honey in a glass of water is one of the best natural remedy for migraine and headaches. You can also add fresh juice of 1 lemon to make it even more refreshing.
✔ Ice Pack
Ice Pack remedy is specially effective in headaches which are due to migraines, stress or sinus. For a simple ice bag, just take a simple zip-lock bag and then fill it with ice. When ice packs or cold compresses are placed over the forehead, it numbs the pain and helps the blood vessels to shrink and improves the blood circulation, thus giving relief from the pain.
- Apply ice pack or cold compress or a cold wash cloth on your head and temples for ten minutes. Repeat the process after some time few minutes break until you get some relief.
- Placing a Lavender/Wheat-filled Cold-pack bag (taken from the freezer) or a Lavender-filled Heat-pack bag (warmed up in the microwave) on your forehead or neck while lying down in a dark room or with dim lights is a very effective home remedy for headaches.
✔ Hot Foot Bath
Hot foot baths are very beneficial in the natural of chronic headaches. You should keep your legs in a tub or bucket filled with hot water at a temperature of 40°C to 45°C for fifteen minutes every night before retiring. This treatment should be continued for two or three weeks.
- Choose a bowl big enough to put both of your feet inside it.
- In the bowl, if possible, place a handful of Basil, Lavender, Rosemary and Marjoram leaves.
- Pour in some hot water (as hot as you can stand it) and immerse the feet in the water for at least 15 minutes.
- Top up with more hot water if it cools down quicker than anticipated.
✔ Ginger For Headaches
Natural Ginger root has got strong anti-inflammatory properties that can help in easing headache pain. Ginger also helps in relaxing the blood vessels, reduces swelling in the brain and activates natural opiates in the brain which helps in lessening the pain associated with tension headache.
- Take a ginger root, crush it up and put it in to a bowl of boiling water. Drinking this tea will reduce the inflammation in very little time, the same as the time taken by an aspirin tablet to work out. In the prepared tea, you can add 1 tablespoon of Honey and/or fresh juice from half lemon for more taste.
✔ Deep Massages For Headaches
One can get temporary relief by rubbing the temples or getting a complete deep, relaxing massage on their head, neck, back, or shoulder. Such quick & easy to do treatments work best when done in a dark room where someone other than yourself is massaging the head and neck. Researches have shown that those who go for regular weekly massage sessions suffer less from migraines and headaches and also enjoy better sleep.
- Place a hot compress on the forehead or the back of your neck. The heat will help relax those tightened and stiff muscles in this area
✔ Cinnamon – Ayurvedic Home Remedies For Headaches
Cinnamon is a herb that can effectively treat headache. As per webmd, Lab studies have found that cinnamon may reduce inflammation, have antioxidant effects, and fight bacteria.
- Take some cinnamon sticks and grind them to make a powder out of it. Now add some water to this powder to make a thick paste and apply it on your forehead and temples and lie down for half an hour. Soon you will get relief from headache.
- You can get pain killer benefits of Cinnamon by making adding Cinnamon to boiling water while preparing any tea.
✔ Basil – Ayurvedic Home Remedies For Headaches
Basil has natural muscle relaxant properties, making it a helpful treatment for headaches caused by tension and muscle inflammation.
- Put some fresh basil leaves in a cup of boiling water, let it sit for a few minutes and then sip the tea slowly.
- For mild headaches, you can chew some fresh basil leaves or massage your head with essential basil oil.
Headaches can be a particularly frustrating problem but you can beat it by dietary changes, lifestyle changes and using some of the above Home Remedies For Headaches .